Home > Career Advice > Job Facts
Useful Facts About Jobs, Worklife and the Workforce
Get Informed...Knowledge Is Power!
We didn't know this stuff either 'til we compiled it for this list. Mull over these job facts on your 15 minute break. Some of this stuff may shock you!
Check back. We post more as we find 'em.
- According to a Harris survey, the amount of leisure time enjoyed by the average American has shrunk 37% since 1973.
- According to a Harris survey, the average work week, including commute time, has jumped from 41 hours to nearly 47 hours since 1973.
- 14% of respondents felt like striking a coworker in the past year, but did not do it - Attitudes In The American Workplace 2000 Gallup Poll
- 25% of respondents felt like screaming or shouting because of job stress - Attitudes In The American Workplace 2000 Gallup Poll
- Three fourths of employees believe that workers have more on-the-job stress than a generation ago - Princeton Survey Research Associates
- 40% of workers report thier job is "very or extremely stressful" - Northwestern National Life Survey
- Health care expenditures are nearly 50% greater for workers who report high levels of stress. - Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Many studies suggest that psychologically demanding jobs that allow employees little control over the work process increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. - Encyclopedia of Occupational Safety and Health
- The U.S. Unemployment Rate is 5.0% in Jun 2005 - U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Retail salespersons and cashiers were the two largest occupations in the U.S. in May 2004 - U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- According to the 2004 America Time-Use Survey, on days that they worked, about 1 in 5 employed persons did some or all of their work at home. - U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- A total of 5,559 fatal work injuries were recorded in the U.S. in 2003 - U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
- 31% of workers in the U.S. do not use all their vacation days as opposed to 24% in Canada and 17% in France - Monster.com