I worked for a small company whose President was exactly what the title says she is....in short she's crazy.
I was one of 4 employees, but the work load was spilt between 2 people, myself and my co-worker. I could easily work a 12 hour day including weekends. My former boss was such a micro manger, we had two staff meetings a day. Each meeting was essentially a point for her to see how much more work she could give us. And if we didn't finish things, she would turn bright red, slam her hands on the table and ask, "what's taking you so long?"
There is just so much wrong with this woman, I'm going to list it in bullet form.
1. After 12 or 13 months of working there..she told me I was no longer allowed to listen to music (with my ear bud) while working.
2. She made me keep a time management sheet that said when I started and stopped all assignments and I had to turn it in to her at the end of day. ( I made sure to note the 20-25 times she frantically walked into my office to ask me a question)
3. She would routinely text or email (to my personal account) on the weekends about things that could wait until monday morning. I eventually stopped answering them so she would know I couldn't be reached that way
4. If you had to take personal time, she would ask what for.
5. Because she was ex military, she had this HUGE ego whenever we went anywhere she could throw around her minor rank.
6. She insisted on being driven everywhere because she was a horrible driver and as the boss she felt like she shouldn't have to drive to a meeting herself
7. She had a tendency to try and pit me against my co worker. Accomplishments were a method to keep score
8. She kept me from attending important meetings/events that I single handily implemented.
9. I worked 11-12 hour days and some weekends...without ANY over time or health insurance
10. She had a tendency to throw you under a bus in open meetings to make herself look better
11. Rude as all hell. She was once cursed out by my colleague for being such an open bitch and it was amazing.
12. Because she didn't like to do anything herself, she would make me send her pictures and status texts for events. I once pulled off an event in limited time, with a huge turnout. The next morning the first thing she said to me was, "Well I'm disappointed I didn't get feedback about the event last night. I shouldn't have to wait until this morning." I didn't get home until 9:30 the night before.
13. I once witnessed her reach over and snatch a piece of paper form a colleagues hand like she was a 5 year old. It was the most absurd thing I've ever seen.
14. Since her coming on board, FIVE people have quit and made no secret that she was the reason that they quit.
15. I once had to stuff goodie bags with easter candy...i was instructed to make sure there were two of each color candy in each bag. OCD as all hell. Promotional pens had to be stacked and facing the same way in a box. I'm talking boxes of like 300 pens.
16. She's the only person I know that still where's a watch, and she would walk into my office pull up her sleeve and check the time while asking me to hurry up.
17. She's a liar and a bully to boot.
Even as I write this, i know there are 20-25 more things I could include. If the organization was larger, I would've reported her to HR instead of quitting. I was there for over a year, and was so frustrated by it all that I up and gave my 2 weeks notice with absolutely no plan or job. I just knew that I had to get out of there.
In my darkest days I think about the tough spot I put myself in by quitting, but I knew I couldn't do it anymore. But I think about how poor that whole company will be and how it will cease to exist in the next 5 years because it's redundant with a poor infrastructure...and boss.